How To Cap Off Water Line To Refrigerator- A Complete Guideline
How to cap off water line to refrigerator? Using a T-Valve is beneficial because it can open by turning the T. A regular cap also locks the pipe’s mouth.
But if you want to use the water dispenser again, you have to open the lid again and connect the tube with the sink water line.
Yes. It’s a DIY job within an affordable budget of $30-$60. But a professional will take $100-$130 for this task.
How To Cap Off Water Line To Refrigerator
Leaking of water can spoil your refrigerator body as well as the floorboard. The best solution of how to cap off water line to fridge is to close the icebox pipe’s mouth. Use a T-valve or a brass cap for temporary but perfect locking.
At first, manage a cap to lock the water pipe. Do you need the measurement of the stopper?
- Turn off the valve under the kitchen sink, where the water supply starts.
- Please switch off the refrigerator and pull it some steps from the wall. Behind the fridge body, you will find a water line.
- Now twist the compression using a locking plier and open them. There could be some gallons of water from the pipe that will come out.
- Get the compression nuts and go nearby hardware store to purchase a cap.
What to purchase for capping off the refrigerator water line
I hope you have a plier in your toolbox.The other pieces of equipment are available in any hardware store within $30-$60 of your budget. Look below:
- Two ¼ “compression nuts,
- Two washers
- Two ferrules, and
- A T-valve (if there is no T-valve) or brass cap.
- A Teflon tape or pipe sealant.
(Note: Saddle valve is against the building code system. If you use a saddle valve to close the pipe system, you may get no help from the insurance company for any damage issue.)
How To Cap Off Copper Water Line To Refrigerator
Refrigerator copper water line is decent for water supply. They are durable, long-lasting, and keep the water in good condition. But if the ice maker is not using the corrade of water can harm the tube.
You have wrenches or locking pliers. Here, how to close off water line to fridge?
- Switch off the fridge and water line. Move the refrigerator forward safely.
- Unscrew the compression nuts of the pipe.
- Wipe the wet portion and clean the connections.
- Put the washers into the nuts and set them tight.
- Insert the pipe into the compression nut. Set the ferrules at the top of the pipes.
- Tight the connections. Now attach a T-valve or shut-off valve and connect it between the pipes. Use Teflon tape for perfect sealing.
- Turn the T-valve to the counterclockwise direction to cap off the water flow through the waterline.
How To Cap Off Plastic Water Line To Refrigerator
Some freezers have plastic pipes or tubes for the ice maker water supply. The modern Refrigerator plastic water line cap is a duel compression connecting valve. This is a brass-made system which you have to shut off. All you need is a locking cap or a tap valve.
- Power off the electricity and water supply of the refrigerator and move it forward position.
- Unscrew the compression nut in the counter-clock direction. There some leftover water may come out.
- Clean the water. Wipe out the pipes and its mouth to clean the water and dirt.
- Apply Teflon tape or sealant on the mouth of the pipe.
- Set the locking cap and twist it clockwise with a plier.
- Now your fridge water line is capped off. This time set the capped pipe behind the freezer carefully with tape.
Note: If you ask me how to disconnect water line from fridge no valve, the answer is to use the locking cap only.
How To Disconnect Water Line From Whirlpool Fridge
Whirlpool uses an inlet valve for water supplying tasks to the ice maker. This inlet valve is behind the fridge body below the rear panel. Now you need a screwdriver and a plier.
Before disconnecting, the water lines from the fridge, first switch off the electricity connection. Also, shut off the water supply from the mainline.
- Unscrew all the screws of the rear panel.
- Press it down and pull it forward.
- On the right side, there is an inlet valve mounting. Unscrew it.
- Disengage the wires and solenoids. Remember about the proper settings of the wires and solenoids.
- Now remove the water pipes from the inlet valve using a plier.
- Use a sealed cap to lock the pipe. It’s done. Finish the task by screwing the rear panel.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is this ok to turn off the water line to the refrigerator?
If you are not using the water dispenser for many days or planning to go outside for a long time, turning off the water line to the refrigerator will be a clever task. It will keep the fridge body fit. Moreover, you do not worry about any water leakage on the floor.
How do I turn off my copper water line to my refrigerator?
Take a plier and unscrew the compressions of the pipes. Clean the water and screw a T-Valve. This valve has two ends. Attach the icebox pipe and main water supply pipes to the ends and turn the valve off.
How do I close the water line to my fridge?
You can see under the sink where the water line starts for the ice maker. Turn off this line by a plier, and the line will stop supplying water to the refrigerator.
This task takes you 20 – 30 minutes to apply how to cap off water line to refrigerator. After closing the waterline, check and double-check the connection. Then carefully set backward the fridge. No matter you close the water dispenser line, you still get the ice cube from the freezer except the ice maker.
You Can Also Read: